On Monday, August 5, the Show ‘N Tell School of Paoli cut out the use of plastic cups and has asked parents to provide a cup with a lid and/or a reusable water bottle for their child to use throughout the day in an effort to reduce plastic waste. As a reminder, these cups should be taken home daily (for milk drinkers) or weekly (for water drinkers) to be cleaned.
We hope that our environmentally friendly decision not only makes a positive impact on the world around us, but that it helps to show our students the importance of a sustainable future.
Do you like what we’re doing? We encourage you to try to reduce the use of plastic in your own homes, too.
- Limit your use of plastic straws and coffee stirrers, even when you go out to eat.
- Did you know that a plastic grocery bag can take 1,000 years to break down? Use reusable bags the next time that you visit the store, just make sure to wash them!
- Avoid frozen foods, because most of their packaging is plastic. Another benefit? Less processed food, which means healthier bodies!
- Try making your own juices at home. Not only are they better for you and (ideally) have less sugar, but you’re cutting down on the amount of plastic packaging that you’re purchasing. Bonus points if you use a reusable bottle or mug for sipping on the go!
- Pack lunch in glass containers and reusable bags. Think about how many plastic bags we go through over the course of a school year to carry around our sandwiches and snacks… phew!
For more information on reducing the use of plastic, check out this article.